FACULTY Faculty of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine
DEPARTMENT Animal Science
NAME OF STAFF Judith Georgette Makombu-Ngueguim
University of Buea firstname.lastname@example.org
Secondary E-mail email@example.com
BRIEF EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND:
2015 PhD in Fisheries University of Buea, Faculty of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine
2005 D.E.S. Interuniversity (Hons) in Aquaculture, University of Liege and University Faculties of
Our-Lady of the Peace of Namur, Belgium
2003 D.E.A. in Plant Biology University of Yaounde I, Faculty of Science
2001 “MAITRISE” (with thesis) in Plant Biology University of Dschang, Faculty of Science
1999 B.Sc in Plant Biology University of Dschang, Faculty of Science
RESEARCH INTEREST AREA:
– Aquaculture of prawn
– Characterization of prawn
MASTER DISSERTATIONS SUPERVISED : None
PhD THESES SUPERVISED: None
1. Blanchard, G.,Makombu J. G., Kestemont P. (2008). Influence of dietary 18:3n-3/18:2n-6 ratio on growth performance, fatty acid composition and hepatic ultrastructure in Eurasian perch; Percafluviatilis. Aquaculture 284, 144 – 150.
2. Gaudin G., Motto I., Makombu J. G., Njifondjou O. and Mialhe E., (2013). Native shrimp cultured in Cameroon. Global Aquaculture Advocate, Vol. Jan-Feb, 48 – 49.
3. Makombu, J. G., Oben, P. M., Oben, B. O., Gaudin, G. L. P., Motto, I. S., Makoge, N., Syapze, J. K., Brown, J. H., Ngueguim, J. R. &Mialhe, E. (2014). Complete larval development of the fresh water prawn Macrobrachiumvollenhovenii in Cameroon. Journal of Applied Aquaculture, 26 (4), 310-328.
4. Makombu, J. G., Oben, B. O., Oben, P. M., Makoge, N., Nguekam, E. W., Gaudin, G. L. P., Motto, I. S., Konan, K. M., Brown, J. H., Ngueguim, J. R., Mialhe, E. &Brummett R. E. (2015). Biodiversity of species of the genus Macrobrachium (Decapoda, Palaemonidae) in Lokoundje, Kienke and Lobe Rivers, South Region, Cameroon. Journal of Biodiversity and Environmental Science, 7 (2), 68-80.
5. Oben, B. O., Oben, P. M., Makoge, N., Makombu, J. G. (2015). Reproductive biology and physico-chemical parameters of the African Giant Prawn, Macrobrachiumvollenhovenii from tropical freshwater river. International Journal of Biosciences, 7 (3), 31-41.
Judith Georgette Makombu-Nguegium is specialist of Aquaculture. She obtained a PhD in Fisheries in 2015 at the University of Buea. She has particular interest on characterization and culture of African prawns with emphasis on fresh water prawn culture of the genus Macrobrachium. She has conducted several research works and she is author of five publications in peer-reviewed journals.
In 2015, she won two grants from the International Foundation for Science (IFS) and the Africa Biosciences Challenge Fund (ABCF) to study molecular characterization of freshwater prawn of the genus Macrobrachium in the coastal area of Cameroon. She is currently a visiting scientist at the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI), Nairobi, Kenya where she works on general molecular biology and bioinformatics.