FACULTY : Health Sciences
DEPARTMENT: Surgery and Obstetrics/Gynaecology
NAME OF STAFF: Halle-Ekane Edie Gregory
Secondary E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
BRIEF EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND
I graduated from the University of Jos- Nigeria in 1985, obtained a specialist certificate in obstetrics and gynecology from the University of Yaoundé – Cameroon in 1994 and a postgraduate diploma in reproductive health from the University of Geneva in 1995. I subsequently trained in gynecologic laparoscopic surgery in the University of Geneva in 2002. Became a fellow of the West African College of Surgeons in 2016. I am Senior lecturer and Vice Dean in charge of Cooperation and Research in the Faculty of Health sciences, University of Buea – Cameroon, and senior consultant gynecologist in department of obstetrics and gynecology Regional Hospital Buea and the Reference Hospital of Douala.
RESEARCH INTEREST AREA
Sexual and reproductive health with experience in the management of STIs, gynecological cancer screening and management, teenage pregnancy, prevention of maternal to child transmission of HIV, pregnancy related complications like hypertension and caesarian deliveries
MASTER DESSERTATIONS SUPERVISED
I have supervised 24 MD, 2 MSc and 3MPH students:
Morike Ngoe Mokube: Bacteriuria amongst Pregnant Women in the Buea Health District, Cameroon: Prevalence, Predictors, Antibiotic Susceptibility Patterns and Diagnosis.
Desmond Molar Nkambfu: Pap Smear Screening, the Way Forward for Prevention of Cervical Cancer? A Community Based Study in the Buea Health District, Cameroon
Fokunang Lydia: Attainment of the Fifth Millennium Development Goal: Utopia or Reality Based on Trends in Maternal Mortality in 12 Years in Two Regional Hospitals in Fako Division, Cameroon? A Retrospective Study.
Emmanuel Njuma Tamufor: Perceptions of Antenatal Care Services by Pregnant Women Attending Government Health Centres in the Buea Health District, Cameroon: A Cross Sectional Study.
PhD THESES SUPERVISED
1. Leke RIJ, Halle-Ekane G, Tonye R. Efficacité et tolérance Bactox dans les syndromes infectieux abdomino-pelvien à la Maternité Principale – Yaoundé. Medicine digest. 1992; 13(4).
2. Robyr R, Nazeer S, Vassilakos P, Matute JC, Sando Z, Halle G, Mbakop A, Campana A. Feasibility of cytology-based cervical cancer screening in rural Cameroon. Acta Cytol. 2002 Dec;46(6):1110–6.
3. Tebeu PM, Kemfang JD, Sandjong DI, Kongnyuy E, Halle G, Doh AS. Geographic Distribution of Childbirth among Adolescents in Cameroon from 2003 to 2005. ObstetGynecol Int. 2010; Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2926687/
4. Egbe TO, Halle-Ekane G, Behiya G, Tsingaing JK, Belley Priso E, Nyemb JE. Importance of prenatal diagnosis in the effective management of hydrocephalic foetus: A case report in the Douala General Hospital, Cameroon. Clin Mother and Child Health. 2010;7(1): 1233–8.
5. Tchente NC, Halle-Ekane G, Egbe OT, Tsingaing JJ, Nana NT, Belley Priso E. L’insuffisance ovarienne précoce: review de la littérature à partir de 4 cas cliniques observes à l’Hôpital Général de Douala, Cameroun. Revue de Médecine et de Pharmacie. 2011;00:37–41.
6. Tebeu PM, Mboudou E, Halle G, Kongnyuy E, Nkwabong E, Fomulu JN. Risk factors of delivery by caesarean section in Cameroon (2003-2004): a regional hospital report. ISRN Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 2011791319. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3216360/
7. Tsingaing KJ, Egbe OT, Halle-Ekane G, Tchente Nguefack C, Nana Njamen T, Imandy G, Fanne M, Barla ME, Mvele ED, Belley Priso E. Prévalence du VIH chez la Femme Enceinte et Transmission Mere-Enfant du VIH a la Maternité de Hôpital Général de Douala, Cameroun. Clin Mother and Child Health. 2011;8.
8. Charlotte Tchente Nguefack, Martin Essomba Biwole, Annie Massom, Jacques Tsingaing Kamgaing, Theophile Nana Njamen, Gregory Halle Ekane, Thomas Egbe Obinchemti, Eugene BelleyPriso. Epidemiology and surgical management of breast cancer in gynecological department of Douala General Hospital. The Pan African medical Journal. 2012; 13:35.
9. Tebeu PM, Halle G, Lemogoum D, Simo Wambo AG, Kengne Fosso G, Fomulu JN. Risk factors for eclampsia among patients with pregnancy-related hypertension at Maroua Regional Hospital, Cameroon. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2012; 118 (3):254–6.
10. Tchente Nguefack C., Egbe Obinchemti T., Halle Ekane G., Nzesseu Djomo A.L., Nana Njamen T., Tsingaing Kamgaing J. , Barla E., Belley Priso E. Les malformations congénitales à l’Hôpital Général de Douala : aspects épidémiologiques et cliniques. Journal de la SAGO. 2013; 14 (1):11-16
11. Enow Orock G E, Halle E G, Weledji P, Ewane T P, Doh A S. Multiple primary cancers seen in Yaounde. An 8 years population review. Global Advanced Research Journal of Medicine and Medical Sciences. 2013; 2(4) http://garj/garjmms/index.htm
12. Thomas Obinchemti Egbe, Theophile Nana Njamen, Halle Ekane Gregory, Jacques Kamgaing Tsingaing, Charlotte Nguefack Tchente, Gerard Beyiha, Barla Esther and Nyemb Ernest. Outcome of late second trimester emergency cerclage in patients with advanced cervical dilatation with bulging amniotic membranes: A report of six cases managed at the Douala General Hospital, Cameroon. ISRN Obstetrics and Gynaecology Volume (2013), Article ID 843158, 5 pages http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/843158
13. Gregory Halle Ekane, Pierre Marie Tebeu, Thomas Egbe Obinchemti, Theophile Nana Njamen, Charlotte Tchente Nguefack, Jacques Tsingaing Kamgaing, Eugene Belley Priso. Postpartum hemoperitoneum due to rupture of a blood vessel on a uterine pseudo tumor: a case report. The Pan African Medical Journal. 2013; 16:57.doi:10.11604/pamj.2013.16.57.3363
14. Morike Ngoe Mokube, Julius Atashili, Gregory Edie Halle-Ekane, George M Ikomey, Peter M Ndumbe. Bacteriuria amongst Pregnant Women in the Buea Health District, Cameroon: Prevalence, Predictors, Antibiotic Susceptibility Patterns and Diagnosis. PLoS ONE. 2013:01; 8(8):e71086. DOI: 10.1371
15. Charlotte Tchente Nguefack, Clovis Ourtching, Halle Ekane Gregory, Eugène Belley Priso.
Knowledge, Attitudes and Practices of Infertile Women on Child Adoption in Douala (Cameroon)
Open Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 2014 ;4 (16):1065-1071 DOI: 10.4236/ojog.2014.416146
16. Gregory Edie Halle-Ekane, Thomas Egbe Obinchemti, Jeffrey-Lewis Nnomzo’o Nzang, Ngoe Morike Mokube, Martin Mafany Njie, Theophile Nana Njamen, Boniface T. Nasah . Assessment of the Content and Utilization of Antenatal Care Services in a Rural Community in Cameroon: A Cross-Sectional Study. Open Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2014;4 (14):846-856
17. Halle Ekane, G., Obinchemti, T., Tchente, C., Fokunang, L., Njamen, T., Bechem, N. ,Njie, M. and Latum, D. (2014) Attainment of the Fifth Millennium Development Goal: Utopia or Reality Based on Trends in Maternal Mortality in 12 Years in Two Regional Hospitals in Fako Division, Cameroon? A Retrospective Study. Open Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 4, 771-781. doi: 10.4236/ojog.2014.413107
18. Halle Ekane EG, Mangala Nkwelle FG, Obinchemti Thomas Egbe, Nana Theophile Njamen, Tchente Nguefack Charlotte, Kamgaing Jacques Tsingaing, Ngowe Ngowe Marcellin, Mouelle Sone, Biwole E. Martin, Masson Annie, Belley Priso Eugene. Assessment of the management of breast cancer in the Douala General Hospital, Cameroon: A tertiary centre in a low income setting. AJIH 2014, 03:12-18 Available online www.ajih.net
19. Njunda LA, Elvuchio TEA, Eko MS, Tebit KE, Mary Ojong-Alasia MM, Halle Ekane EG. Cancerous lesions of the uterine cervix among women attending the University Teaching Hospital (UTH) Yaounde for screening: A cross sectional study. AJIH 2014, 03:34-37 Available online www.ajih.net
20. Dickson Shey Nsagha, Gregory Edie Halle-Ekane, Claude Shei Nfor, Marcelin Ngowe Ngowe, Boniface Tatchwanglie Nasah. The role of the male partner in the prevention of mother to child transmission of HIV in Cameroon. American Journal of Epidemiology and Infectious Disease. 2014; 2 (2): 52-59 Available online http://pubs.sciepub.com/ajeid/2/2/1
21. JN Palle, N Bassah, HLF Kamga, G Nkwelang, JF Akoachere, E Mbianda, UG Nwarie, AL Njunda, NJC Assob, GH Ekane, M Ngowe Ngowe. Current antibiotic susceptibility profile of the bacteria associated with Surgical wound infections in the Buea health district in Cameroon. Afr.Cln.Exper.Microbiol.15(1):27-34 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4314%2Fajcem.v15i1.5
22. Gregory Edie Halle Ekane, Fulbert George Nkwele Mangala, Thomas Egbe Obinchemti, Charlotte Tchuente Nguefack,Theophile Nana Njamen, Jacques Tsingaing Kamgaing, Eugene Belley Priso. A Review of Maternal Deaths at Douala General Hospital, Cameroon: The Referral System and Other Contributing Factors. International Journal of TROPICAL DISEASE & Health.2015; 8 (3): 124-133
23. Tebeu Pierre-Marie, Halle-Ekane Gregory, Da Itambi Maxwell, Enow Mbu Robinson, Mawamba Yvette, Fomulu Joseph Nelson. Maternal mortality in Cameroon: a university teaching hospital report. The Pan African Medical Journal. 2015 ;21:16
24. Gregory Edie Halle Ekane, Thomas Egbe Obinchemti, Charlotte Tchuente Nguefack, Desmond Molar Nkambfu, Robert Tchounzou, Dickson Nsagha, Georges Mangala Nkwele, George Enow Orock. Pap Smear Screening, the Way Forward for Prevention of Cervical Cancer? A Community Based Study in the Buea Health District, Cameroon. Open Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2015;5: 226-233. http://dx.doi.org/10.4236/ojog.2015.54033
25. Halle Ekane GE, Djoukam L, Tchente Nguefack C, Tchouzou R, Atashili J, Mangala Nkwele, Mokube M, Egbe Obinchemti T. Outcome of delivery after a previous caesarean section at the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Limbe Regional Hospital, Cameroon: A retrospective study. Afr.J. of Integ Health. 2015; 5 (1): 24-30
26. Gregory Edie Halle Ekane Edie, Thomas Egbe Obinchemti, Emmanuel Njuma Tamufor, Martin Mafany Njie, Theophile Nana Njamen, Eric Akum Achidi. Perceptions of antenatal care services by pregnant women attending government health centres in the Buea Health District, Cameroon: a cross sectional study. The Pan African Medical Journal. 2015; 21:45
27. Dickson Shey Nsagha, Elroy Patrick Weledji, Sarah Mboshi Nsagha, Faryu William Tantoh, Elvis Asangbeng Tanue, Anna Longdoh Njunda, Jules Clement Assob Nguedia, Edie Gregory Halle Ekane, George Enow-Orock. The Victories and Vexations of HIV and AIDS: An African Critical Public Health Perspective. American Journal of Epidemiology and Infectious Disease, 2015; 3 (3): 50-60
28. Essomba NE, Mbatchou Ngahane BH, Nida M4, Temfack E, Mapoure Njankouo Y, Abeng RL, Fokalbo ZK, Achu Joko H, Mbenoun M4, Meledie AP, Halle MP, Malongue A, Tchente C, Nana Njamen T, Halle Ekane G, Ngwane S, Barla E, Abena P, Ndobo P, Moungo Kuidjeu C, Adiogo D, Mouelle Sone A, Luma Namme H, Coppieters Y. Clinical and immunological profile of HIV-infected patients at the initiation of antiretroviral therapy in Douala. Bull SocPatholExot. 2015;108(4):255-61. doi: 10.1007/s13149-015-0444-3. Epub 2015 Aug 22.
29. C TchenteNguefack, E BelleyPriso, G Halle Ekane, LJ FofackTsabze, T Nana Njamen, J Tsingaing Kamgaing, G Beyiha. Complications et priseen charge de la prééclampsiesévère et de l’éclampsie à l’hôpital général de Douala. Revue de Médecine et de Pharmacie.2015;5(1):483-90
30. Gregory E. Halle-Ekane, Cyril Mela Fotabong, Phillip Nana Njotang, Julius Atashili, Ndemazie NkafuBechem, Dickson S. Nsagha, Thomas Egbe Obinchemti. Quality of antenatal care and outcome of pregnancy in a semi-urban area in Fako Division, Cameroon: a cross-sectional study. Women Health Open J. 2015; 1(2): 47-55.
31. Halle-Ekane GE, Nsom BJ, Atashili J, Palle JN, Nsagha DS, Nguefack CT and Njotang PN. Outcome of Pregnancy in Patients with Excessive Gestational Weight Gain in Two District Hospitals in Douala, Cameroon. SM J Gynecol Obstet. 2015;1(1):1004.
32. Thomas Obinchemti Egbe , Amadeus Omeichu , Gregory Edie Halle-Ekane, Charlotte Nguefack Tchente, Eta-Nkongho Egbe, Jean-Francois Oury. Prevalence and outcome of teenage hospital births at the Buea health district, South West Region, Cameroon. Reproductive Health (2015) 12:118 DOI 10.1186/s12978-015-0109-5
33. Gladys Ghogomu, Gregory E. Halle-Ekane , Peter F. Nde, John Ngunde Palle, Julius Atashili, Fulbert N. Mangala and Dickson Shey Nsagha.Prevalence and Predictors of Depression among Postpartum Mothers in the Limbe Health District, Cameroon: A Cross-Sectional Study. British Journal of Medicine and Medical Research. 2016;12(3):1-11
34. Gregory E. Halle-Ekane, Martin Che, Julius Atashili, Ndemazie Nkafu Bechem , Dickson S. Nsagha, Thomas Egbe Obinchemti, Peter Fon Nde. Severe Pregnancy Induced Hypertension, a Dreaded Complication in Semi-Urban Area in Fako Division, Cameroon? A Case – Control Study. British Journal of Medicine & Medical Research. 2016 ;12(5):1-9
35. Gregory Edie Halle-Ekane, John Cham Akwa, Dohbit Sama, Thomas Egbe Obinchemti, Charlotte Nguefack Tchente, Jacqueline Bih Nsom, Fulbert Nkwelle Mangala, Robinson Mbu. Knowledge, Attitudes and Practice of Contraception among Refugees in a Refugee Settlement in
Yaoundé, Cameroun. International Journal of TROPICAL DISEASE& Health. 2016;13 (1) 1-10
36. Gregory Edie Halle-Ekane, Francine Ketchem Emade, Ndemazie Nkafu Bechem, John N. Palle, Duplex Fongaing, Henri Essome, Nelson Fomulu. Prevalence and Risk Factors of Primary Postpartum Hemorrhage after Vaginal Deliveries in the Bonassama District Hospital, Cameroon. International Journal of TROPICAL DISEASE & Health. 2016;13 (2):1-12.
37. Thomas Obinchemti Egbe, George Enonchong Enow-Orock, Gregory Edie Halle Ekane, Charlotte Nguefack Tchente, Eugene Belley-Priso. Laparoscopic Myomectomy in a Tertiary Care Centre in Douala, Cameroon. British Journal of Medicine & Medical Research. 2016; 13(7): 1-10.
38. Charlotte Tchente Nguefack, Gregory Halle Ekane. Elvis Armand Ngoupeyou Yaya2, Théophile Nana Njamen, Jacques Tsingaing Kamgaing, Thomas Egbe Obinchemti, Eugène Belley Priso. Uterine rupture in Douala General Hospital, Cameroon: Prevalence, risk factors, management and prognosis. Health Sci. Dis. 2016;17(1)1-6
39. Thomas Obinchemti Egbe, SerahAshunyaKetchen, Eta-NkonghoEgbe, Gregory Edie Halle Ekane, Eugene Belley-Priso. Risk Factors and Barriers to Male Involvement in the Choice of Family Planning Methods in the Buea Health District, South West Region, Cameroon: A Cross-Sectional Study in a Semi-Urban Area. Women Health Open J. 2016; 1(3): 82-90.
40. Marie Patrice Halle, Linda NjonkamToukep, Samuel Ekane Nzuobontane, Hermine FoudaEbana, Gregory Halle Ekane, Eugene Belley Priso. The profile of patients with obstructive uropathy in Cameroon: case of the Douala General Hospital.The Pan African Medical Journal. 2016;23:67. doi:10.11604/pamj.2016.23.67.8170
Dr Halle-Ekane Gregory is a Senior lecturer and practicing Obstetrician and Gynecologist working in the Buea Regional Hospital and the Douala General Hospital, Douala. He is currently the Vice Dean in charge of Research and Cooperation in the Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Buea. He is also the country’s Coordinator for the Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research, Switzerland. He is a member of the editorial board of the Women’s Health Open Journal, Consultant sector editor for the African Journal of Integrated Health and a peer reviewer of six international journals. Since 1996 he has participated in the design and oversaw screening and treatment of cervical cancer programs at local and national levels. In 2015, in collaboration with the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology of the University of Geneva, he carried out a research for self-sampling for genital HPV as a screening method for Cervical Cancer in a rural setting. He has been involved in many research projects in the area of maternal and perinatal health. He currently coordinate research and teaching activities between the Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Buea and other health facilities in Cameroon (e.g. Cameroon Baptist Convention Health Services and Catholic Health Services) working to improve health care through educational, research and clinical care improvement collaborations. Specifically, he mentors and supervises local and visiting OB/Gyn trainees including visitors to the CBCHS through the UAB-Cameroon Health Care Collaboration Initiative and also fellows of the Afya Bora Consortium and collaborate with other US Universities (Universities of Arizona and California).