BRIEF EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND
03/2000- 11/2003 Ph.D. Natural Product Chemistry, University of Yaounde I, Cameroon,(Distinction).
03/1998 – 02/2000 “D.E.A” (German Equivalent: Diplom Chemie. Organic Chemistry University of Dschang, Cameroon (Mention Assez Bien)
02/1997 – 02/1998 “Maîtrise” (British Equivalent: Post-Graduate Diploma) Organic Chemistry University of Dschang, Cameroon, (Mention Tres Bien)
05/1993 – 02/1996 University of Buea, Cameroon, B.Sc. (Hons) Chemistry (Second Class Upper Division), Major: Chemistry and Minor: Chemical Process Technology (CPT),
RESEARCH INTEREST AREA
Search for Lead Compounds from Medicinal Plants for the Discovery of Drugs for the treatment of Tropical Infectious Diseases such as Malaria, Bacterial infections and Filaria.
MASTER DESSERTATIONS SUPERVISED
I have supervised 07 MSc students:
1. Nguesson Brice, “Antiplasmodial activity of secondary metabolites from a Cameroonian medicinal plant: Terminalia catappa (Combretaceae)” University of Buea, 2013.
2. Mfonku Napoleon Akoh, “Antiplasmodial agents from a Cameroonian medicinal plant: Cylicodiscus gabunensis”University of Buea, 2013.
3. Babiaka Smith Boraka eyabe, “Antimalarial agents from a Cameroonian medicinal plant: Peperomia vulcanica”University of Buea, 2011.
4. Nubed Lina Njiki, “Contribution to the phytochemical study of a medicinal plant of Cameroon: Peperomia fernandopoioana” University of Buea, 2011. etc
PhD THESES SUPERVISED
1. Babiaka SB, Ntie-Kang F, Lifongo LL, Bakoh N, Mbah JA, Yong JN. “The chemistry and bioactivity of Southern African flora I: a bioactivity versus ethnobotanical survey of alkaloid and terpenoid classes” (2015) RSC Advances, 5: 43242-43267.
2. Babiaka SB, Mbah JA, Cho-Ngwa F, Metuge JA, Efange SMN. “Isolation and characterization of filaricidal compounds from the stem bark of Voacanga africana, a plant used in the traditional treatment of onchocerciasis in Cameroon” (2015). Journal of Medicinal Plants Research 9, 471-478.
3. Akoachere J-FTK, Suylika Y, Mbah JA, Ayimele GA, Nguedia JCA, Fodouop SPC, Kodjio N, Gatsing D. “In vitro Antimicrobial Activity of Agents from Spilanthes filicaulis and Laportea ovalifolia against some drug resistant bacteria” (2015). British Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 6, 76-87.
4. Ngemenya MN, Metuge HM, Mbah JA, Zofou D, Babiaka SB, Titanji VPK. “Isolation of natural product hits from Peperomia species with synergistic activity against resistant Plasmodium falciparum strains” (2015) European Journal of Medicinal Plants 5, 77-87
5. Metuge JA, Babiaka SB, Mbah JA, Ntie-Kang F, Ayimele GA, Cho-Ngwa F. “Anti-Onchocerca metabolites from Cyperus articulatus: isolation, in vitro activity and in silico drug-likeness” (2014) Nat. Prod. Bioprospect. 4: 243-249. Doi 10.1007/s13659-014-0023-5
6. Ntie-Kang F, Mbah JA, Mbaze LM, Lifongo LL, Scharfe M, Ngo-Hanna J, Cho-Ngwa F, Onguene PA, Owono LC, Megnassan E, Wolfgang S, Efange SMN. “CamMedNP: Builging the Cameroon 3D structural natural products database for virtual screening” (2013) BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 13:88, http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6882/13/88
7. Mbah JA, Ngemenya MN, Abawah LA, Babiaka SB, Nubed LN, Nyongbela KD, Njimoh DL, Efange SMN “Bioassay-guided discovery of antibacterial agents: in vitro screening of Peperomia vulcanica, Peperomia fernandopoioana and Scleria striatinux” (2012) Annals of Clinical Microbiology and Antimicrobials 11:10, http://www.ann-clinmicrob.com/content/11/1/10
8. Mbah JA, Ndikum G, Zofou D, Ngemenya MN, Efange SMN. “Antiplasmodial triterpenes from the stem bark of Baillonella toxisperma” (2011) ISESCO Journal of Science and Technology 7, 84-87.
9. Mbah JA, Gatsing D, Efange SMN. “Antibacterial agents from the seeds of Peucedanum Zenkeri (Umbelliferae)” (2010) Pak. J. Med Sci. 26, 314-318.
10. Efange SMN, Brun R, Wittlin S, Connolly JD, Hoye TR, Akam TM, Makolo F, Mbah JA, Nelson DP, Nyongbela KD, Wirmum C. “Okundoperoxide, a bicyclic cyclofarnesyl sesquiterpene endoperoxide from Scleria striatinux with antiplasmodial activity” (2009) J. Nat. Prod. 72, 280-283.
11. Nyongbela KD, Ndjoko KI, Brun R, Wittlin S, Mbah JA, Makolo F, Akam TM, Wirmum C, Efange SMN, Hostettmann K. “Occurrence of sesquiterpene derivatives in Scleria striatinux De Wild (Cyperaceae)” (2009) Natural Product Communications 4, 5-8.
Dr. Mbah J. Ajeck is a lecturer of Organic Chemistry. He has particular interest in natural product drug discovery from medicinal plants. Under the International Conservation Biodiversity Group (ICBG) he set up the Phytochemistry Research Laboratory at the University of Buea in 2002. With a great track record in post graduate research supervision, he has over 23 peer-reviewed papers. He was a fellow of the International Programs in the Chemical Science (IPICS) University of Uppsala in 1999. He has been a researcher with 3 sponsored projects in the field of drug discovery from plants.
His current research is based on the search of lead compounds from Cameroonian medicinal plants, for the discovery of drugs against tropical infectious diseases such malaria, onchocerciasis and bacteria.
He is currently the Head of Chemistry Laboratory at the University of Buea and Boardchair of CASSDNREP, Lower Bokova, Mile 15 Buea (teaching local population on sustainable cultivation of mushrooms, bee keeping, etc). He is actively involved in culture and religion. He speaks English and French